To visit from the Kaz Koz-Kozé …
Within a radius of 2 to 6 km
you will find:
- All essential services: supermarket, restaurants, doctors, pharmacies, bakeries.
- A very modern pool at Belle Vue.
- The Musée de Villèle and the chapelle Pointue, the historical site of Madame Desbassyns’ property, depicting the history of slavery.
- The museum’s nursery: besides the sale of horticultural productions, his visit is a moment of relaxation among the tropical flowers.
- The “La Part des Anges” distillery in La Saline (very interesting guided tour, sale of brandies based on tropical fruits).
- The golf Bassin Bleu, where you can play golf course, but also have a drink at sunset: the panoramic view is breathtaking on the west coast.
- The Chapel “La Misère”, renowned temple of indignation.
- Small hikes/walks like “Le Moulin Kader” or go down to the sea by sugar cane fields.
- An interchange on the road Tamarins (expressway, 2km) to access north to St Paul, St Denis, Salazie, St Benoit, south to St Leu, St Pierre, Cilaos and the Volcano.
- The Garden of Eden, lush botanical garden near the coast.
- Start of the Maïdo road (2 km), which, in 45 minutes by car, will lead you to the magnificent view of the Mafate cirque and from hiking trails (Grand Bénare, Mafate, Ilet Alcide, La Glacière ).
- The Sunday morning market at Ermitage les Bains: fruits, vegetables and crafts.
Between 15 and 20 km
- Saint Paul, its bay and its beach of black sand *, named “the bay of the best anchorage” by the first arrivals in 1663. The Waterfront, its jetty, its “Hôtel de Laçay” which was carpeted in 2013 with giant photos of Reunion Island during the commemoration of the 350th anniversary of the island’s settlement, symbolizing the diversity of today’s Reunionese society. Large beachfront market on Friday all day and Saturday morning.
- The Rivière des Galets: entrance to the circus of Mafate. A track of 12 km allowed only tax 4X4 leads you to the start of the trails. We will give you their phone numbers for reservations.
- Le Port, city and port, economic hub of the island, modern city built on a stony delta of the products of the erosion of the circus of Mafate.
- Short hike (45 mn to 1h30) at Cap Noir, in the upper Dos d’Ane: exceptional view (and different from that of Maïdo) on the circus of Mafate.
- Saint Leu, its small lagoon, its rondavelles (beach bistros and their musicians Sunday evening) and especially surfing (hot global spot), paragliding (departures at 800 or 1600 m altitude and landing on the beach). Do not miss Kelonia, center for the study and rescue of sea turtles, the museum Stella Matutina, museum of sugar cane and the Botanical Garden of Mascarin with its National Conservatory.
- The Hubert de Lisle road: this balcony road located at an altitude of approximately 800 m crosses all the West Heights. Sinuous and picturesque, it offers dazzling views and a crossing of Reunion Rural, since in Reunion, the countryside, it is in the Hauts (the cities surround the coast of the island). You will meet traditional lifestyles, between market gardening, cattle breeding and pastures.
Further … to the day
- St-Pierre, its marina with dock, its beach, its indie temples, its nightlife (piano bars), its big Saturday market.
- The tour of the island is about 250 km, it can be a big day trip, because many sites are not to be missed!
- The Great South and its volcanic flows, return by “The Plains” (Cafres and Palmistes).
- The City of the Volcano in Bourg Murat (Plaine des Cafres).
And go on foot, on the trails, to discover the jewels of Reunion, namely the landscapes of our “Pitons, Cirques and Ramparts” classified as World Heritage by UNESCO.
You will enjoy these moments better if you sleep one night in a lodge (we can give you good addresses), because it takes about 100 km and 1h45 / 2h by car from La Kaz Koz-Kozé to start walking on the trails of some great sites, such as the Volcano of La Fournaise, the circus of Cilaos, the circus of Salazie or the high Mafate. It is feasible to the day but the 2 times 2 hours of road (G / B) are quite tiring.
The objects of Kaz koz-kozé
Geneviève and André are naturalists, amateurs but passionate. Naturalists is a big word if it evokes the university degrees of the field “nature” that they do not have, but it is the right word if it qualifies a panel of values related to the protection, the valuation and especially to the love of the nature of Reunion, values that animate them and will have great pleasure to share with you.
Metropolitan, having made the choice to take root in the land of Réunion for 23 years, Geneviève, recently retired, was an environmental technician at the Reunion National Park and a former mountain guide. André is an avid ornithologist and hiker. Together, they “root” also many plant species in their garden, favoring native species and endemic (existing only in Reunion) adapted to the climate of their living space.
They will be happy to show you their “courtyard” where indigenous and endemic as scented wood, damsel, red latanier and other benzoin or wood of the arnette, compete with exotic passion fruit, avocado, lemongrass or frangipani.
* varangue : veranda open to the garden, main living space in Reunion.
To be welcomed at “La Kaz koz-kozé” …
Thank you for choosing to visit us by staying at La Kaz Koz-Kozé, where you will find kindness and simplicity. We hope so from you.
Welcome to our house !